Monday, January 21, 2013

Review (37): The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning
by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers Trilogy, #1
Other Reviewed Titles: None
Release Date:
July 28, 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 390
Source: Purchased
Challenge: None

My Review: 
Chloe Saunders is schizophrenic...or so everyone keeps telling her. But when she starts talking to people only she can see, what other explanation is there? Because of her “hallucinations” she is sent to Lyle House, a group home for troubled teens. There she meets Liz, Rae, Tori, Simon and Derek; all are around her age and all have been diagnosed with some type of disorder. But none of them are buying it. Simon and Derek know the truth--that Chloe is a necromancer. With help from the two brothers, Chloe finally comes to terms with the fact that she can indeed contact the dead. Good thing too because a fellow necromancer (now deceased) is eager to warn her about the history and dangers of Lyle House, dangers her and her new friends are about to discover. 

The book is almost fully set at Lyle House--minus the beginning and the end--and spans about a week. So much is jam packed into that week, however, that it feels like Chloe has been there much, much longer. During her time at the house she learns a lot about herself, her family and a world she never even knew existed, one that she is now a part of. The beginning was a bit slow because it was mostly to introduce all the characters and the story. We learn about Chloe’s necromancer power right along with her. The action really picks up in the second half of the book which is when everything important starts to happen. I had trouble putting the book down!

The book also has a very good cast of characters. Chloe is a really great MC. I like that she fought what everyone kept telling her--even when they continually insisted--and that ultimately she followed her gut. She almost gave up a few times along the way, but who hasn’t thought about just quitting when something gets too hard or scary? I know I would have hidden under the covers if I kept seeing dead people everywhere. As for the others, they were all interesting. My favorite of the girls, besides Chloe herself, would probably be Liz. I wish we had seen more of her in this book, but I have a feeling she’ll be very present in the next one. The foster brothers, Simon and Derek, were strange at the beginning but they grew on me as I kept reading. I couldn’t figure out if there was any romance brewing between either of the brothers and Chloe. If anything does happen in the next two books though I’m definitely rooting for Derek--I have a soft spot for brooding “bad” boys. 

I really enjoyed this book and am kind of mad at myself for waiting almost 5 years to finally read it. I honestly have no idea what took me so long. I can’t wait to get my hands on the second because of that darn cliffhanger!

Rating: * * * *

| Goodreads | Barnes & Noble | Amazon |

2 comments:

  1. This is a great trilogy and I really enjoyed it. I loved Simon and Derek.. Hope you enjoy the rest of the books too. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.