Monday, January 7, 2013

Review (35): A Royal Match by Tyne O’Connell

A Royal Match
by Tyne O’Connell


Series: The Calypso Chronicles
Other Reviewed Titles: None
Release Date:
February 15, 2011
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Pages: 512
Source: Purchased
Challenge: None

My Review: 
This includes the first 2 out of 4 books in the Calypso Chronicles which is a series about a girl named Calypso Kelly who is an American teenager attending boarding school in England. She yearns to be popular and gets just that when the heir to the throne, Prince Freddie, takes interest in her. A picture of them kissing ends up in the tabloids which causes big problems for both. Calypso is able to tackle the disaster and hopes that her second term (semester) at school will be better. But Honey O’Hare, her nemesis as well as the reason her picture ended up in the trashy magazines in the first place, has different plans. She turns most of Calypso’s friends against her in the hopes of pushing them, as well as Freddie, away.

I was actually so excited to read this because it sounded really cute and fun from the synopsis, but it just wasn’t. There were so many good ideas in this book and it really had the potential to be great. The plot just seemed to jump from one event to another randomly. I think if each book had been longer this wouldn’t have happened and it wouldn’t have been so confusing.

The characters were also problematic for me. It might just have been me, but they felt ridiculously immature for 14-15 year olds. And obviously I wasn’t expecting them to act like they were 20, but the only thing they ever talked about was pulling boys (the British equivalent of making out). Well, that and their pet bunnies.  

Despite how long this is, I finished it rather quickly but only because I couldn’t wait to get it over with. Like I said, it had potential, I just don’t think it was executed well. 

Rating: * *

2 comments:

  1. Sheesh! It is truly disappointing when you are excited about a book, but it doesn't live up to your expectations! This does sound like a good read though. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Too bad you didn't like it! And it SUCKS when you can't relate to the characters AT ALL! Anyways, great review! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really does :(
      Thanks for reading, I appreciate it!

      Delete

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.