Monday, January 14, 2013

Cover Change: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

The mall I work at has a Barnes & Noble in it which is super convenient for me. I usually go in almost everyday I work either before or after my shift. It helps me pass the time because I'm usually there 30 minutes before I start working and have to wait the same amount of time before I get picked up. As you can imagine I always head straight towards the YA section to see if there are any new books and what-not.

However, this time for some reason the Uglies series (or is it still a trilogy?) by Scott Westerfeld caught my eye and I picked up a few of the books. I bought the series when it first came out so all the ones I own have the original covers on them. I had noticed the cover change a while back but had never actually taken the time to fully look at them.

If you are not familiar, here are the originals:
         
click for closeup

And here are the changes:

click for closeup

I'm not sure why they were changed, but I do think the new covers illustrate what the overall story is better than the originals. That being said, I don't really like them. These new covers are quite pretty...yet slightly creepy (especailly that first one). I don't know what it is about them...I feel like these pictures belong in magazines or something rather than on book covers. I definitely prefer the original covers and kind of wish they hadn't been changed.

What are your thoughts on this cover change? How do you feel about cover changes in general?

1 comment:

  1. The ones I have are the original covers, but honestly, I don't really like either of them all that much. I think I prefer the second covers slightly because, as you mentioned, they illustrate the story better, but they're still pretty plain. I'm pretty "meh" on both cover sets.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.