Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review (10): Babe in Boyland

Babe in Boyland
by Jody Gehrman



Series: None

Other Reviewed Titles: None
Release Date: February 17, 2011
Publisher: The Penguin Group
Pages: 292
Source: Library
Challenge: None
Book Website: None
When high school junior Natalie--or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper--is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. 

But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected--especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?
_____________________________________________________________________

Why I Read This: It looked like a fun, cute read.

Plot: This story reminded me a lot of She’s the Man with Amanda Bynes which is not a bad thing because I absolutely loved that movie and recently found out it was based on one of Shakespeare’s plays. The plot was a little predictable, but there were parts that were still unique to the story. I loved the theater components of and how they were incorporated perfectly into the story. What I had a hard time believing was how it was so easy for her to be enrolled into the school without any problems or people asking too many questions. That would not have happened in real life, but obviously the same rules don’t apply to books which is why they’re so amazing. 

Characters: Natalie was hilarious, witty and sarcastic. She was very relatable and I loved her. I also really liked her two best friends, Chloe and Darcy. They couldn’t have been more different from each other, but that seemed to make their friendship even more believable and realistic. Emilio was super adorable and I loved that he was shy around other people, but very comfortable when he was with Nat (aka Natalie). I really liked them all, especially the three friends Natalie makes at the all-boys school she attends for a week. 
Cover: The cover is super cute and is what first drew me to the book. The girl is gorgeous and has the biggest and prettiest eyes ever! 

Overall Impression: Hilarious! I found myself literally LOLing various times throughout the book. I had fun reading it which is what I was hoping for. I will definitely pick up other books by Jody Gehrman now that I know how great this one was. 

Rating: * * * * *

4 comments:

  1. I just got this book because, like you, the cover drew me in. I can't wait to read it!!! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my wishlist for a long time now and the few people I know that have read it really loved it, so I really want to buy it now. I wish I didn't buy so many books already this week! Oh well lol...

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOunds like a good choice for my high school students. Thanks for the review. I am dropping by on Follow Friday.

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad to hear it's cute, because I love the cover and the premise and I've been curious about the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.